Error 1747 when startin IPSec Service
AngeloCL
2005-07-22 19:25:04 UTC

My computer has WinXP Pro. I was trying to configure a VPN
access to my university, but got a message from IPSec manager (secpol.msc)
that the IPSec Service (Policy Agent) was not running.
When I try to start the service I receive the following
error message "Could not start the IPSEC Services service
on Local Computer. Error 1747: The authentication service
is unknown." Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for all help.
Herb Martin
2005-07-23 02:22:57 UTC
Post by AngeloCL
Hi,
My computer has WinXP Pro. I was trying to configure a VPN
access to my university, but got a message from IPSec manager (secpol.msc)
What VPN software? RRAS? Did you create any RRAS filters?

Domain machine or stand-alone (workgroup)?

Are any IPSec policies enabled (LGPO or domain GPOs)?
Post by AngeloCL
that the IPSec Service (Policy Agent) was not running.
When I try to start the service I receive the following
error message "Could not start the IPSEC Services service
on Local Computer. Error 1747: The authentication service
is unknown."
If it is a Domain machine, perhaps it is directly related to what
it says "authentication". IPSec requires secure authentication
(Kerberos, Certificates, or Pre-shared secrets) -- Have you
been disabling any other services -- perhaps one of those is a
dependency....
Post by AngeloCL
Any thoughts?
Are you running any firewalls? Which ones? Have you tried
disabling these?

What about virus checkers?

Try running NetDiag on the machine (capture output and repair
any errors, netdiag /fix may help as well, or post errors here.)
--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE
AngeloCL
2005-07-23 11:15:01 UTC
I think I got it. I kept searching the internet for more information and found
a suggestion to check if microsoft network client was installed. I did so, but
disabled for my network interface, restarted my computer and it worked.
Thanks anyway.

AngeloCL
Hi,